Sunday, February 21, 2010

Buzz Bissinger on Tiger's Apology: 'He Doesn't Exude Human Warmth'



Was Tiger Woods' long-awaited mea culpa genuine? Pulitzer Prize-winning sports journalist Buzz Bissinger, who wrote that recent Vanity Fair cover story on the embattled golf star, tells ET that he didn't buy what Tiger was saying today.

"I don't think he advanced the ball one inch. … It was Tiger as controlled and controlling as ever," he says.

"I rate it poorly in the sense that I don't know what it did," he continues. "I think he may have a human defect in a sense -- I mean, I think he probably did as much as he possibly could, but he doesn't exude a human warmth. … The most emotion I saw in that very staged press conference was from his mother."

Buzz compared Tiger's speech to the apologies in the past by sports greats Mickey Mantle and Mark McGwire, and while he felt those to be emotionally genuine, he says he felt Tiger's apology "was rehearsed."

"I don't think he really changed anybody's mind," he says. "There is some manipulation involved: Why did he do it? Why is he doing it now? Why did he do it at PGA headquarters? It has to be some overall plot to figure out how to return to golf."

The sports journalist rates Tiger's reaction to the whole situation "The worst-handled celebrity scandal I've ever seen," and adds, "The only way he's going to redeem himself in the end is to win [the Masters] -- because anything else, no one's going to care."

SOURCE

No comments:

Post a Comment